Browser based Games
Start your engines
As far as features go, here are some important ones you should consider when choosing.
- Physics – Allows objects to react to collisions and forces like gravity
- Sound – Music and sound effects
- 2d / 3d / iso – Two dimensions, Three dimensions and Isometric
- Graphics – Canvas (slower but more support), WebGL (hardware accelerated)
- Tooling – Level editors, graphics tools, etc.
- Price – $$$
Lucky for us, there are a number of well maintained engines that are respected within the community. Let’s take a quick look at a few of our favorites.
Atari – Arcade
- Physics None built in but you could add 3rd party physics like Box2D
- Sound SoundJS Playback via HTML5, WebAudio and Flash
- 2d / iso / 3d 2d
- Graphics EaselJS and TweenJS via Canvas (WebGL is in beta)
- Tooling Asset loader – PreloadJS
- Price Free
PhobosLab – Xibalba
- Physics Built in Box2D Physics Engine
- Sound Uses WebAudio (as of 1.24), fallback to HTML5 Audio
- 2d / iso / 3d 2D is the default renderer and a 1st party 2.5D (Doom-style 3D) plugin
- Graphics Canvas based renderer. 2.5D Plugin uses a WebGL renderer.
- Tooling Weltmeister level editor, Ejecta iOS wrapper and built in debug tools
- Price $99
Modus Create – Holiday Game
- Physics Ships with Arcade Physics, Ninja Physics, and p2.js physics. Box2D support is coming via a premium plugin.
- Sound Uses Web Audio with fallback to HTML5 Audio
- 2d / iso / 3d 2D is the default and Isometric third-party plugin
- Graphics WebGL and Canvas renderers (leverages pixi.js)
- Tooling Third party game editors and boilerplates
- Price Free
The Future of HTML5 Gaming is AAA Engines…
MadFinger Games – DeadTrigger 2
UE4 Epic Soul Demo
Unreal Engine is an extremely powerful game development platform for building games ranging from casual 2D puzzlers to AAA next-gen console FPS. Unreal Engine is behind many of today’s largest and most popular games such as the Gears of War series, Borderlands 2, Mass Effect 3, Infinity Blade and many more. Unreal Engine 4 also brings the power of exporting to HTML5 browsers by leveraging emscripten.
If you’ve always wanted to try your hand at writing a game, then there has never been a better time. So, get out there and create something amazing …and when you do, come back here and tell us all about it.