Have you ever had an important project get killed? Have you ever worked on an agile project where a person who can kill your project doesn’t come to sprint reviews or any other ceremonies? In under an hour you can set up a dashboard that just might save your next project. In this blog post we’ll focus on creating a Jira wallboard dashboard and align with a key principle of agile — visibility.
A Jira Dashboard
One of the things that builds confidence early in a project is displaying a dashboard. On a recent project, I set up a monitor on my desk in the open workspace so anyone could come by anytime and see up to date information on the project. I’m going to assume you already have your project setup in Jira and you have a sprint in progress. (I used v1000.245.0 for this example)
Create your dashboard
- From your project in Jira click Dashboards and View all Dashboards.
- In the top right you can click on Create dashboard.
- Fill in the name.
- Start from a blank dashboard.
- For Shared with select Public and click Add.
- Click Create.
Set up your dashboard
- Click on the name you just created.
- Click Add gadget in the upper right.
- In the dialog that comes up you may need to click on load all gadgets.
- Scroll to Agile Wallboard Gadget and press add gadget (It adds behind the modal window so you may not notice that it added)
- Scroll to days remaining in sprint Gadget and press add gadget
- Scroll to Sprint Burndown Gadget and press add gadget
- Scroll to Sprint Health Gadget and press add gadget
- Close the Add a gadget window
- Drag two of the gadgets to the right
- Press save on each of the gadgets
View your dashboard
- In the top right click on the …
- Select view as wallboard
- Sim Sala Bim! You have a nice looking animated dashboard!
In just a few simple steps you set up a nice looking dashboard. Well done! Have a Jira tip to share? Please put it in the comments below.
Want to learn more? Check out these 8 powerful Jira secrets.
Modus is a certified Atlassian partner. To read more about our partnership and the benefits of working with Modus + Atlassian, go to our partner page.